Story So Far
Published on Tuesday, 20 November 2012 12:38
FOUNDED IN 1915
Harmony Row Youth Club was founded in 1915 in the second year of World War I (1914-18). In two different centuries the Club has fostered the talents of thousands of boys and girls from the Govan area of Glasgow and the south west of the city.
The Club took its name from the street in Govan on the south bank of the river Clyde in which its first premises were located. Govan's century-old shipbuilding and engineering industries dominated the area and the lives of the 120,000 people who lived there.
Although no longer recognisable as the wide cobbled street it was in 1915, Harmony Row still exists and the Club is immensely proud of its Govan origins, name and history.
2015 CENTENARY YEAR
Harmony Row Youth Club looks forward to celebrating its centenary in 2015. The Club has commissioned a history of those 100 years and hopes to publish this as part of the centenary year celebrations and activities. The Club hopes this history will convey the scope and scale of its 100 years and its proud record as one of Britain's longest established youth clubs.
For over 80 years Harmony Row Youth Club's premises were either in Harmony Row itself or for many years in the former church adjacent to Harhill swimming baths and steamie in Golspie Street. Both the church and the baths have been demolished. When the run-down church became too unsafe to use and latterly too derelict and expensive to repair, the Club began, in the early 1990s, to raise the funds that would keep the Club in its heartland of Govan.
With the tremendous support of the Club's Patron and most famous old boy, Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, the club raised a significant amount of funds but not nearly enough to make real its ambitious plans. Those were the years of a frustrating and nomadic existence in school gyms in Govan to football pitches, sports centres and netball courts all over the city. It was also a decade of failed proposals and plans to build premises in the heart of Govan. Finally, the Club's Directors and Sir Alex approached Capital Shopping Centres (CSC) - the owners of Braehead Shopping Centre - and asked for their support.
CSC could not have been more helpful or generous. They assisted Harmony Row financially; they gifted to the Club a long term lease of over three acres of land at Braehead; and they provided professional building and project management support. This great generosity culminated in 2008 with the opening - by Sir Alex - of the present FIFA-standard artificial grass football pitch and Portakabin changing facilities.
Today, the Club is proud of the fact that it is now able to encourage the physical development, health and skills of over 300 football players in 15 football teams from the age of six to twenty one.
Harmony Row's netball section is every bit as successful as its football section. With around 100 players, some in recent years reaching Scottish representative level, the Club's netball teams compete at the highest level. Unfortunately unlike football, the Club's netball players have no dedicated facilities at the Club's Braehead base. The Club's proposed Phase 2 development at Braehead aims to change all that.
NEW YOUTH AND SPORTS CENTRE
The aim is to build a Youth and Sports Centre that will complement the investment already made in the football pitch. This would include:
An indoor Netball court of international size and standard;
Changing facilities for both netball and football teams;
A cafeteria, upstairs viewing gallery, function suite and meeting rooms, offices and other amenities.
The Club's aim is to have this Youth and Sports Centre fully functional by the centenary year of 2015 or earlier if that is possible.